![]() |
Image
credit: Mark Lipscomb in 2011 taking part in an ABC Open workshop. Photo
by David Mathieson.
|
His understanding of the role of a museum
in its community was remarkable. Close friend and fellow Museum founder Tom
Wiles said "He was an exceptional person. When the Museum was in its
infancy it was through Mark that we were able to get the necessary grants to
progress it. Without him the Museum wouldn't be where it is today."
For
me, Mark was the first community museum worker I dealt with. His enthusiasm and
dedication was contagious. My experiences in working with Mark and the Adelong
Alive committee over ten years ago encouraged and inspired me to work with
dozens more museums across NSW and Victoria. The loss of Mark Lipscomb extends
far beyond the Museum. Mark also served on the committees for Adelong Men's
Shed, S and C Club, Adelong Golf Club, Adelong Falls, Adelong Progress Association,
The Antique Fair and Falls Walking Trail. Mark was also a member of the Tumut
Shire Council's Cultural Committee.
His
ability to write a successful grant application was legendary. Always with a
project in the making, I am sure he had M&G NSW's number on speed dial when the
right grant program opened.
His
passing was acknowledged on the front page of the Tumut & Adelong Times and
a story on the Wagga based Prime News whom he'd been interviewed by just a few
weeks ago. He'd be pleased to have gotten a plug in for the Museum.
Adelong
Alive will continue on. There is an equally as talented and dedicated group of
volunteers ably led by Mark's sister-in-law Margaret Bentley who will continue
to achieve their shared vision of preserving and telling the story of Adelong
to its residents and visitors with Mark now such a treasured part of that
story.
Mark
is survived by his wife Diana, sons Stephen and Gerald and extended family.
Vanessa Keenan
Museum Advisor
Vanessa Keenan
Museum Advisor

It is very sad to hear of Mark's passing. He was one first people I met and worked with when I started a job in this region. He was full of ideas and enthusiasm and introduced me to the volunteers of the Adelong Alive Museum, the Adelong Men's Shed and his community. He also took me to my first lunch at a saleyard. I know Mark will be very much missed in his community, thank you for sharing his story here. I am glad that I got to meet him.
ReplyDelete